20061025

Music I'd normally think was bad that I just can't shake

Yesterday evening I wandered into Newbury Comics, and came across The Cars: Unlocked. I don't know what it is about the Cars, but I have this huge soft spot for them. Their music sounds inane, simple, and just plain dumb sometimes, but it's so darn catchy and memorable that I always find myself going back to their stuff and loving it. The CD+DVD set was new and on sale, and so, what the hell, I bought it. So far I've only listened to the CD, but I totally love it! The funny thing about the Cars, and much other music of that era (I'm talking Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran, etc.), is that their live shows don't vary much from what's on record. The popular music of the time didn't exactly lend itself to blazing guitar solos or inventive jams. But still, there's something nice about listening to the Cars play live (except for one tune, "Double Trouble," which is just a train wreck), even if most of the tracks sound awfully close to what they played in the studio. "Hello Again" shows that the band ought to maybe have broken up a little earlier than they did; It's an even worse track than I rememeber it being. But the remainder of the tracks are very cool and still a great pleasure to listen to. I kept on wanting to turn my CD player off and go to bed last night, but I couldn't, I was somehow drawn further into tunes like "Moving in Stereo" (one of the best tracks on the album) and "Just What I Needed." It's the music of my youth and I love it. If you love the Cars, then you'll love this album. I haven't watched the DVD yet, hopefully sometime in the next week. If anyone wants to join me for a good laugh, I mean, a viewing of the DVD of the Cars (Live!) lemme know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home