20061114

Let the Music Play

It's been a while since I've actively listened to music, but I'm getting back into it now that I can relax on my futon and listen to some tunes. Here's what I've heard since getting back into it:

Urgh! A Music War: the soundtrack - so far have only listened to the first LP, and I like it. Some good performances, and fun stuff that I've never heard before (Athletico Spizz '80? WTF?). The recording quality is a shame, though. Even though the performances are live, they sound sort of canned and not very vibrant. I expected a little more. It's kind of neat that it's sort of a time capsule of what was going on a year before MTV made its debut.

Altar (Boris and Sun O))) ) - cool, droney, guitary stuff. Like a funeral dirge with teeth. Thumbs up.

On!Air!Library! - Some "found sound" music, along with some great female vocals. Very moody, maybe shoegazer music, I'm not even sure what that is. But I could see myself listening to this music while inspecting my shoes. Thick and spacy music with many keyboards. I love it.

ok go - oh no - poppy dancey catchy has a great beat and I love it. Seeing them on Thursday, which is the only reason I bought the album (although it helped that a DVD of their videos came with it...love that dancing!).

Grizzly Bear - Horn of Plenty - I think now that the wolf has run its course in popular music, it's time for the bear. And what a time it is! I've only listened to half the tracks, but this is a beautiful album (thanks to J.N. for the heads up on it), lovely harmonies, spare instrumentation...it's like floating in space. Wheeeee....

Meyerbeer - the Prophet - I've only gotten through half of the first act of this opera, but it totally rocks. A great way to start the morning.

Rush - Counterparts and Permanent Waves - these albums aren't new to me, but I hadn't listened to them in a while, so I took 'em for a spin, and they were more enjoyable than ever.

Also listened last night to Shannon's follow up to "Let the Music Play." And let me tell you, it doesn't even come close...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home